In 1899 The Newark Board of Trade (forebear to the
Licking County Chamber of Commerce) made a road
trip to Jewett, Ohio (north of Cadiz, half way between
Uhrichsville and Steubenville).
They had heard that the Jewett Car Company was
considering relocating because of a shortage of skilled
labor in the Jewett area. The Board of Trade had heard
After some negotiations, they enticed Jewett Car to
move to Newark in early 1900.
The Board of Trade acquired the former Wyeth-Davis
wagon works, a ten acre site on South Williams by the
railroad tracks. They gave the real estate, and the sum
of $8,000, to Jewett on the condition that the company
would employ at least 125 men.
Expansion quickly followed the re-location and Jewett
Car Company soon employed over 400 men. They
produced over 2,000 wood and steel rail cars and sold
them throughout the United States.
A refurbished Jewett rail car is on display at the
The business closed in 1919. Kel-Par Co. now owns
the site, which is being used among other things for
the making of pallets.
Flash forward to 2009. The State of Pennsylvania,
fearing competition from The State of Ohio and your
local Port Authority, offered HelioSphera, a "green"
technology company, $49,000,000 worth of
incentives to locate their new plant in the old Navy
Yard in Philadelphia.
Projected payroll- 400.