Monday, October 17, 2011

Kids say the darnedest things...............


















I've seen this photo at various way-stations along the Intertunnel.  Don't know if it is real or staged for effect.
Doesn't really matter.  It just reminds me how silly we all can be while growing up.  I grew up when the newspapers were full of stories about urban riots, war protests, and the "counter culture" whose considered wisdom amounted to "never trust anyone over the age of 30."

When I was about half-way through my liberal arts college years, I made, one day, a snide remark to my Dad about our "materialistic life style."  Not angrily, but very wise to the ways of youth, he merely said, "Ok.  I'll tell you what.  If you are willing to go to the local community college instead of Denison, I will pay your tuition and donate the difference in the cost between the two to the charity of your choice."  I believe that is known as calling a bluff.  It was not my finest hour, but I did learn a lot about my Dad, myself, and what the real world is like. 

My Dad was a special man.  He worked at the same business - with time off to serve overseas in the Army from 1942-1945 - for his whole work life.  He ran the place the last thirty years, never making more than $50,000 a year.  When he retired, they had to hire three people to replace him and paid all three more than they had paid him, yet he always felt he had been treated very fairly.  Mom never worked out of the house.  Her thing was hearth, home, family and volunteering.  While I was in Junior and Senior High School she would spend two to three hours a day typing medical textbooks in braille.  I suspect there are more than a few blind folks who were able to grow professionally because of her dedication as a volunteer.  Mom and Dad bought the house that we still consider home base for our extended family in 1961.  They made their last mortgage payment and the last college tuition payment for their two kids on the same day in 1973.  At the time of Dad's death, our current president would have considered him "rich." These are the people I thought were "materialistic."   Like I said, not my finest hour. 

So, I guess I'm willing to cut the "occupiers" some slack.  Foolishness is not terminal.  My hope for them is that their parents are as wise as mine.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how much the young man was involved in accumulating his family's wealth?

    The "we had to..." just didn't quite fit for me.

    Great post Steve. Have a great week. E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to say this post. that's a nice to give idea of how to grew up our life.It's deeply discuss about this matter for grew up your life.

    Charlotte Property Management

    ReplyDelete