Thursday, January 29, 2015

End of an era.......................................

Andrew Sullivan announces the beginning of the end of his blogging career - here.  Excerpt here:

The second is that I am saturated in digital life and I want to return to the actual world again. I’m a human being before I am a writer; and a writer before I am a blogger, and although it’s been a joy and a privilege to have helped pioneer a genuinely new form of writing, I yearn for other, older forms. I want to read again, slowly, carefully. I want to absorb a difficult book and walk around in my own thoughts with it for a while. I want to have an idea and let it slowly take shape, rather than be instantly blogged. I want to write long essays that can answer more deeply and subtly the many questions that the Dish years have presented to me. I want to write a book.

One doesn't need to agree with Sullivan to like him.  I like him.  I like his restless intelligence, his willingness to reconsider, his forceful advocacy of issues dear to him, and his vision to take the next step.  Whenever he gets around to writing his book, I will buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment