Saturday, November 14, 2015

Am I confused...................


.........................about the notion of "universal values"?   At the :19 mark, the President says "an attack on all of humanity and the universal values we share."   I'm wondering if the current and previous administrations aren't/weren't seriously confused on this issue.  I would agree that history would seem to indicate that, for the most part,  for the past three hundred years or so, "western civilization" has shared a set of common values.   Acting on the thought process of extrapolating that, since the "west" thinks this way, "all of humanity" thinks this way has caused us considerable heartbreak.



Ed Note:  As I tend to do when confused by an issue, the Oracle Google was consulted.  Under the heading "Universal value", this was found:  "Whether universal values exist is an unproven conjecture of moral philosophy and cultural anthropology..."   Hmm.   Culture matters.  Not all cultures are the same.  Forget that at your own peril.  Just saying.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction as my wife and I were huddled around the TV, watching this unfold. "There is no such thing, you fool" I uttered at the TV as he continued to read from his Islamic telepromter.

    ReplyDelete