Thursday, February 18, 2016

Some days it's a toss-up..................


1.  At day's first light have in readiness, against disinclination to leave your bed, the thought that 'I am rising for the work of man.'  Must I grumble at setting out to do what I was born for, and for the sake of which I have been brought into the world?  Is this the purpose of my creation, to be here under the blankets and keep myself warm? 'Ah, but it is a great deal more pleasant!'  Was it for pleasure, then, that you were born, and not for work, not for effort?  Look at the plants, the sparrows, ants, spiders, bees, all busy at their own tasks, each doing his part towards a coherent world-order;  and will you refuse man's share of the work, instead of being prompt to carry out Nature's bidding?

-Marcus Aurelius,  Meditations, Book Five

No comments:

Post a Comment