Thursday, November 10, 2016

Marvel..................................

15.  Great is this power of memory, exceedingly great, O my God -- a large and boundless inner hall! Who has plumbed the depths of it?  Yet it is a power of my mind, and it belongs to my nature. But I do not myself grasp all that I am. Thus the mind is far too narrow to contain itself. But where can that part of it be which it does not contain? Is it outside and not in itself? How can it be, then, that the mind cannot grasp itself? A great marvel rises in me; astonishment seizes me. Men go forth to marvel at the heights of mountains and the huge waves of the sea, the broad flow of the rivers, the vastness of the ocean, the orbits of the stars, and yet they neglect to marvel at themselves

-Saint Augustine,  as culled from Confessions,  Book X, Chapter VIII

1 comment: