Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Re-reading Shakespeare.................

The following lines are all to be found in Act 2, Scene 2 in Hamlet

Ay, sir; to be honest, as this world goes, is to be one man picked out of ten thousand.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't.

Why, then, 'tis none to you; for there is nothing
either good or bad, but thinking makes it so:

What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
in apprehension how like a god!

I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is
southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.

The best actors in the world, either for tragedy,
comedy, history, pastoral, pastoral-comical,
historical-pastoral, tragical-historical, tragical-
comical-historical-pastoral, scene individable, or
poem unlimited: Seneca cannot be too heavy, nor
Plautus too light. For the law of writ and the
liberty, these are the only men.

I'll have these players
Play something like the murder of my father
Before mine uncle: I'll observe his looks;
I'll tent him to the quick: if he but blench,
I know my course. The spirit that I have seen
May be the devil: and the devil hath power
To assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps
Out of my weakness and my melancholy,
As he is very potent with such spirits,
Abuses me to damn me: I'll have grounds
More relative than this: the play 's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king.

No comments:

Post a Comment