Thursday, January 12, 2012

Opening paragraphs............

One of the good things about being a woman in my profession
is that there's not many of us, so there's a lot of work avail-
able.  One of the bad things is figuring out where to carry the
gun.  When I started as a cop I simply carried the department
issued 9-mm on my gun belt like everyone else.  But when I
was promoted to detective second grade and was working
plain clothes, my problems began.  The guys wore their guns
on their belts under a jacket, or they hung their shirt over it.
I didn' own a belt that would support the weight of a handgun.
Some of them wore a small piece in an ankle holster.  But, I'm
5'6" and 115 pounds, and anything bigger than an ankle
bracelet makes me walk as though I were injured.  I also like
to wear skirts sometimes and skirt-with-ankle-holster is just
not a good look, however carefully coordinated.  Carrying
the thing in my purse meant that it would take me fifteen
minutes to find it, and unless I was facing a really slow
assailant, I would need to get it out quicker than that.  My
sister Elizabeth suggested that I had plenty of room to
carry a gun in my bra.  I have never much liked Elizabeth.

Robert Parker, Family Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment