Saturday, August 11, 2012

Opening paragraph...............

"When I started my first company in Boston twenty years ago, I had little interest in business.  I was just trying to restore my health.  Hindered by asthma since I was six weeks old, I had begun experimenting with my diet and discovered a disquieting correlation.  When I stopped eating the normal American diet of sugar, fats, alcohol, chemicals, and additives, I felt better.  I could breathe freely.  When I tried to sneak in a hamburger and a Coke, my body rebelled.  After a year of going from one diet to the other, I was left with a most depressing conclusion:  if I wanted to be healthy, I'd have to become a food nut.  I bid a fond farewell to my junk foods but then discovered that steady diet of natural food was impossible to obtain without spending ten hours a week shopping at ethnic food stores, farm stands, Seventh-Day Adventist flour mills, Japan Town, and other distant vendors.  The health food stores certainly weren't very helpful.  For the most part, their idea of food included high-priced nostrums and vitamin formulas - sold by women who wore nurses' uniforms and white hosiery that made their legs look slightly cadaverous."
-Paul Hawken, Growing A Business

No comments:

Post a Comment