Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tynan on self-commitments,......

...............habits and trust.  Full essay here.  Excerpt here:

"No habit is too small to go unchecked. About a week ago I had finished reading, turned off the light, and was drifting to sleep. Right as I was losing consciousness, I remembered that I had forgotten to floss. Now, flossing as a habit matters a good deal, but flossing on one particular night is pretty much irrelevant. That's what I told myself, too. But see, it's not about flossing-- it's about self trust. If I don't floss today, what will happen if I forget tomorrow? And if I can't trust myself to floss, can I trust myself to keep a todo list every day? And if I can't trust myself to keep a todo list, can I trust myself to get key things done every single day?"

No comments:

Post a Comment