Friday, December 27, 2013

A Call..............................

'Hold on,' she said, 'I'll just run out and get him.
The weather here's so good, he took the chance
To do a bit of weeding.'
                                         So I saw him
Down on his hands and knees beside the leek rig,
Touching, inspecting, separating one
Stalk from the other, gently pulling up
Everything not tapered, frail, and leafless,
Pleased to feel each little weed-root break,
But rueful also...
                             Then found myself listening to
The amplified grave ticking of the hall clocks
Where the phone lay unattended in a calm
Of mirror glass and sunstruck pendulums...

And found myself thinking:  if it were nowadays,
This is how Death would summon Everyman.

Next thing he spoke and I nearly said I loved him.

-Seamus Heaney

No comments:

Post a Comment