Thursday, December 12, 2013

Trying to remember the last time..................

............I felt confidence in the Federal Government.  I'm very confident that I felt confidence on July 21th, 1969 when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin launched their ascent module from the surface of the moon to rejoin the Apollo 11 command module for the trip back to earth.  I am highly confident I felt confidence on  August 9th, 1974 when Jerry Ford took his oath of office as President of the United States upon Richard Nixon's resignation.  I'm sort of confident that I felt confidence in the manner that George H. W. Bush and his administration organized and waged the first Gulf War early in 1991.  You might offer some helpful suggestions, but beyond those examples (and maybe a few more I've forgotten about), I don't find the behavior and activities of our Federal Government all that confidence inspiring.  Which is a shame.  This topic arose today because of this blog post from WRM.  Excerpts here:

"The federal government needs to rebuild public confidence in the concept of health care reform by way of discrete changes that make small but important improvements."

"The fantasy that there is one big, seamless reform that will make everything work beautifully leads a lot of people on unicorn hunts. Wonks of both sides might wish they could push through their pet reforms, convincing people to bear with lots of short-term disruption, but politics and public opinion just don’t allow that."

Wishing them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment