Sunday, March 2, 2014

Interesting paragraphs.........................

     Geni was in the engineering school at the university.  He had a great love of science.  Through circumstances that I do not now recall, two years before he had managed to come upon a Scientific American magazine.  He explained how much he treasured every page.  The most significant article was on quasars.   I am a scientific illiterate, so he took his time.  It was clear that he wanted me to understand the details of his story.  He explained to me that quasars are among the largest and most luminous objects we have ever discovered.  "They are ultimately huge," he exclaimed.
     "I could not stop thinking about quasars,"  Geni continued.  He was no longer looking me in the eye, but was lost in the memory.  "Compared to a quasar, our galaxy is nothing.  It is only a piece of sand.  Just a piece of sand."  He rubbed his thumb and finger together to illustrate just how small that was.  "Then if you compare our solar system to our galaxy, it is only a piece of sand.  Then you have planet Earth.  Earth is only a piece of sand in our sun system.   That is a piece of sand inside a piece of sand inside a piece of sand."  This mathematical drama was clearly inspiring to him.  He continued, "Albania is a very small country.  Albania is only a piece of sand on the earth and ..."  Geni now looked me straight in the eye.  "Tony, I am only a piece of sand inside my piece-of-sand country.  I ask you, what could be more insignificant than me?  Can you see that I am the smallest piece of nothing in the whole universe."
     Geni's words were so simple; his logic so perfect.  I was now the one lost in his telescoping imagination.
     "But Tony," he went on, "the words of the magazine were speaking to me so clearly.  They reminded me that I am in fact significant.  How could this be?  God was speaking to me through the pages of my magazine.  He was telling me that even though I was ultimately small, I was also valuable, and I knew God was right."

-Tony Kriz,  Neighbors and Wise Men:  Sacred Encounters in a Portland Pub and Other Unexpected Places

No comments:

Post a Comment