Saturday, January 9, 2016

So, decide already.................


      In my years as a head coach, I wanted a democratic-style organization with input and communication and freedom of expression, even opinions that were at great variance with my ideas.  But only up to a point.  When it was time for a decision, that decision would be made by me according to the dictates having to do with one thing only, namely, making the team better.
      And once the decision was made, the discussion was over.  My ultimate job, and yours, is not to give an opinion.  Everybody's got an opinion.  Leaders are paid to make a decision.  The difference between offering an opinion and making a decision is the difference between working for the leader and being the leader.

-Bill Walsh with Steve Jamison,  The Score Takes Care Of Itself:  My Philosophy of Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment