Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Harriet Tubman in.....................












"So it was wid me. I had crossed de line of which I had so long been dreaming. I was free; but dere was no one to welcome me to de land of freedom, I was a stranger in a strange land, and my home after all was down in de old cabin quarter, wid de ole folks, and my brudders and sisters. But to dis solemn resolution I came; I was free, and dey should be free also; I would make a home for dem in de North, and de Lord helping me, I would bring dem all dere. Oh, how I prayed den, lying all alone on de cold, damp ground; 'Oh, dear Lord,' I said, 'I haint got no friend but you. Come to my help, Lord, for I'm in trouble!'"

-Harriet Tubman

Andrew Jackson gets relegated to the back of the $20 bill.  Personally, I have had a hard time with Jackson ever since college when I read this quote:  "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it!"  The issue before the Supreme Court had to do with the Cherokee Tribe and the State of Georgia.  It is an open question as to whether Jackson actually said that, but regardless, it was an ugly time in American history.  If story of the Trail of Tears doesn't affect you, well, I'm sorry, it should.  Put me in the column of people who are OK with this currency exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment