|Washington County Courthouse, Marietta, Ohio|
|Memorial to the "Start Westward of the United States." |
Sculpted by Gutzon Borglum (he of Mt. Rushmore fame),
it was dedicated by FDR in 1938, honoring Marietta as the
"first permanent settlement in the Northwest Territory
under the landmark Ordinance of 1787."
|The last of the coal powered steam towboats|
|Downtown Marietta from the Ohio River. No wonder it floods.|
|The Quadranaou. Image is part of the 180' x 32' "platform |
mound." There are over 1,000 Hopewell mounds
remaining in Ohio. Marietta joins the fun.