Saturday, March 18, 2017

Old-fashioned..............................

The governing paradigm of the internet is advertising.  Great juggernauts like Facebook and Google make billions of dollars on advertising, and their model -- that the economic purpose of all online activity is to advertise things to each other -- seems to infect everything.  So as far as I can tell most hacking is about advertising.  You spend months hacking into a bank, and you steal ... email addresses?  So you can send millions of people spam emails touting pump-and-dump stock scams?  Because of course if the purpose of the internet is advertising, then the purpose of internet crime should be criminal advertising. 
I tell you what, if I ever hacked into a bank, I would try to take money.  I am old-fashioned like that.
-Matt Levine, as culled from here

No comments:

Post a Comment