Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Highly recommended.................




As a history major, I am sort of embarrassed by the gaps in my knowledge.  The Reconstruction era and the fate of the freed slaves post-Appomattox is an unhappy ugly chapter in American history.  As Chernow tells it, there is clearly a national amnesia about that era.  If I learned about it in school, well, I didn't.

At 959 pages, Chernow might have benefited from a stronger editor.  Still, he tells a tale crucial to the understanding of the United States of America.

2 comments:

  1. Did you watch Henry Louis Gates' series on Reconstruction? Just awful how it ended before it got started. Politics and power over people writ large. E

    P.S You should be ashamed. All reading you do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled to finish the book. It is such a painful story. S

    ReplyDelete