Thursday, September 21, 2023

Question answered....................

 Parents, teachers, coaches, and guidance counselors bombarded me with the same question: "What are you going to do with your life?"  I didn't even want to think about that when I was fourteen.  My teachers called me a daydreamer.  They would write comments on my report card like, "He seems to live in a fantasy world and prefers that to paying serious attention to serious subject matters that will prepare him for life."

     The life they were so hell-bent on preparing me for bored the living shit out of me.  It seemed way too serious.  I saw more meaning in the mysteries of the ocean and the planets than in theology or religion.  I was too busy figuring out ways to skip school, go diving, and get laid.  My heroes were not presidents, they were pirates.  Emerging from adolescence with a healthy "lack of respect for the proper authorities," and a head full of romanticism and hero worship, I was able to come up with an answer.

    Q. What are you going to do with your life?

    A. Live a pretty interesting one.

-Jimmy Buffett, A Pirate Looks at Fifty

     

No comments:

Post a Comment