Sunday, March 11, 2012

On the virtue of plain speaking............

Kurt rejects the new jargon:
"I reach out to pull Libby over the top of the really steep hill in 
our back woods.  I reach out my arm and grab hold of hers, 
then pull her over the top and we continue our peaceful walk.  
I reach out to get something to eat from the cupboard.  I reach 
out to grab a beer from the refrigerator.  But I'll not be reaching 
out to clients, employees, coworkers, friends, acquaintances or 
anyone else again. . .ever."

Michael offers clear and common sense language:
"I need time to think."
"I need to see that in writing."
"Can you boil that down to a one-page memo?"
"Are we making this harder than need be?"
"What are the deadlines?"
"What's really going on here?"
"Is this a battle we should be fighting?"



The Deliberateink blog where "every word means business"
rails against business jargon.  The video is instructive.
"Don't holistically enable cross-media e-business, or 
dynamically incubate long-term high-impact models.  
Instead, try making sense."

No comments:

Post a Comment