Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Checking in with Steve Felix..............

Saying one is "in the real estate business" is painting with a rather broad brush.  Steve Felix has spent his career in the global institutional real estate marketplace.  I've spent my career in small town Central Ohio commercial and investment real estate. Both fields deal with buildings and cash flows, but at a vastly different scale and with vastly different travel schedules.  Felix writes a weekly blog post.  I read it every week.  From his latest:


For quite a while, when anyone asked me what I see going on in the commercial real estate industry the answer was easy, "Uncertainty."  If you ask me today, I'd suggest adding another word, "Change."  While commercial real estate remains basically and old-fashioned business the world around it is continually changing.  Retail shopping habits and channels change.  Where people want to live changes.  Where companies choose to locate their offices, warehouses and factories change.  What hotels people stay in change.  How people like to get around (i.e. mobility and transportation) is changing (with regular gas now at $4.39/gal and likely to continue going up, we're thinking about where we want to live...city or on a self-sustaining farm (with excellent wireless service, of course!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment