Saturday, December 22, 2012

Mencken's dictionary................

Faithful readers may remember our recent attempt to buy a copy of H. L. Mencken's A New Dictionary of Quotations on Historical Principles from Ancient and Modern Sources.  Didn't try very hard after discovering the lone Amazon.com offering cost $750.00.  A bit off the budget range.















Remembering that my library card is one of my most valued possessions for a reason, I strolled over to the Newark Public Library and inquired therein.  While the Newark Library does not own a copy, the Washington County Public Library (Marietta, Ohio) does.  I asked the inter-library exchange to send me a copy, they delivered.  What a neat system.  While the book is not mine, it will be in my possession for the next four weeks.























Probably will not be running out of postable quotes any time in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. Seems that both Powell's and AbeBooks have both sold their copies since Kurt's post. He may have generated a hot market for this. AbeBooks wasn't as expensive as Amazon - but the book was still in the $500-$600 range. Can't find out exactly why - other than demand.

    The library has always been my go-to place for books since I've run out of room on my own shelves. Even though we still rescue books from time to time. What I like in my own community is our library now has the ability not only to pull from the stacks in our own county, but also from university and museum inventories. Generally - you can find what you want.

    An amazing place....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And... that's why God invented copy machines. But you didn't here that from me. And yes please. E.

    ReplyDelete