Wednesday, August 28, 2013

On love and work and mastery.....................

Following your passion may not be such a good idea after all.  Turns out it is much better to love what you do, rather than do what you love.  A subtle yet important distinction.  Stuart Schneiderman opines on the subject here.  Excerpt here:

Worse yet, to be really, really good at something, to be good enough not only to make a living but to feel some real satisfaction, you will have to work at it. Malcolm Gladwell’s ten-thousand-hour-rule that I posted about last week is a good rule of thumb. No matter how natural your talent, if you do not put in the time and effort to master a skill at the highest level you will not attain the satisfaction that accompanies excellence.

Reminds me of my favorite Robert Frost poem, Two Tramps in Mud Time.  Full poem is here, ending is here:

But yield who will to their separation,
My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment