Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Opening paragraphs.................................


     I was born on April 16, 1889, at eight o'clock at night, in East Lane, Walworth.  Soon after, we moved to West Square, St. George's Road, Lambeth.  According to Mother, my world was a happy one.  Our circumstances were moderately comfortable;  we lived in three tastefully decorated rooms.  One of my early recollections was that each night before Mother went to the theatre Sydney and I were lovingly tucked up in a comfortable bed and left in the care of the housemaid.  In my world of three and a half years, all things were possible;  if Sydney, who was four years older than I, could perform legerdemain and swallow a coin and make it come out through the back of my head, I could do the same;  so I swallowed a halfpenny and Mother was obliged to send for a doctor.
-Charles Chaplin,  My Autobiography

Ed. Note:  My Sweetie and I ventured out last Friday to a showing of Chaplin's 1921 silent movie, "The Kid."   The draw was that the movie would be accompanied by an organist, just like in the old days.  The organist was superb (playing the music as written by Chaplin his ownself) and the film a revelation.  A wonderful night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment