Thursday, July 30, 2015

Checking in with Montaigne..............


“The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness. ” 

“The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself.” 

“When I am attacked by gloomy thoughts, nothing helps me so much as running to my books. They quickly absorb me and banish the clouds from my mind.” 

“If I speak of myself in different ways, that is because I look at myself in different ways.” 

"There is nothing more notable in Socrates than that he found time, when he was an old man, to learn music and dancing, and thought it time well spent.”

“Man is certainly stark mad; he cannot make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by dozens.” 

“I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly.”

"Life itself is neither a good nor an evil: life is where good or evil find a place, depending on how you make it for them.”

“Que sçais-je?" (What do I know?)” 

Wiki on Michel de Montaigne is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment