Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Opening paragraphs.................


When I die and people realize that I will not be resurrected in three days, they will forget me.   That is the way it should be.   For reasons known only to God, I was asked to write an autobiography.  Most people who knew me growing up didn't think I would ever read a book, let alone write one.  Anyway, here goes:   I was born January 6, 1937, eight years after Wall Street crashed, and two years before John Steinbeck published The Grapes of Wrath, his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about the plight of a family during the Great Depression.  How bad was it?  Well, we weren't Okies, in the sense that we weren't from Oklahoma, but in every other respect the Holtzes of West Virginia could easily have been mistaken for the Joads of the dust bowl South.

-Lou Holtz,  Wins, Losses, and Lessons:  An Autobiography

No comments:

Post a Comment