Friday, July 22, 2022

Reading.........................

      I'm not sure I ever would have learned to read if it weren't for the heroes I met and saw in comic books.  Regular books couldn't hold my attention at all, but my fascination with comics drove me to keep pushing myself until I could read their stories without waiting for someone else to read them to me.  I would read them by flashlight under my covers late at night.  Those stories gave me hope that one person could overcome impossible odds.

      My favorite superheroes growing up were the X-Men, not because they were the strongest, but because they were misunderstood and weirdly different.  I felt I could relate to them.  They were mutants, they didn't fit into society, and people who didn't understand them shunned them.  That was me, minus the superpowers.  The X-Men were outcasts, and so was I.  I belonged in their world.

-Jim Kwik, Limitless: Upgrade Your Brain, Learn Anything Faster. and Unlock Your Exceptional Life


I never had a problem reading as a youngster, but comic books were a staple anyway.  I remember reading by flashlight too.  Amazing how much pleasure 10 cents could bring.  Never was an X-Man fan, but here are a few of my favorites:











































No comments:

Post a Comment