Thursday, January 8, 2015

Why I still love my............................

...........................................................................local library.

The Newark Public Library


















I've been reading a bit of Charles Murray lately.  In one of the books, Murray mentioned Hamlet's Mill, suggesting that, while other intellectual types had savaged the authors, he valued their work.  Intrigued enough to visit Amazon, I was impressed by their asking price for the book.


















When new books are fetching $216, I do what any sensible person would do.  I visit the Newark Public Library.  While this book did not have a place of honor on the shelves, the library's computer allowed me to request delivery from the Southeastern Ohio Regional Library Center.  Four days later, voila, the book is (temporarily) in my possession.  It's like magic.   Now to see what the fuss was all about.  As you will note on the book's cover, the authors are calling this "An Essay ...".  Some essay, the book is 349 pages long, and the Appendices add another 135 pages.  Hmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment