Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Opening paragraphs..............


It was at Harvard University in 1927 that I first decided to go into politics.
      No, I wasn't a Harvard man.  But I was born and raised in North Cambridge, Massachusetts, a stable, mostly Irish, working-class neighborhood a mile or two from the university.  At the age of fourteen, I landed a summer job as a groundskeeper, cutting the grass and trimming the hedges at Harvard.  It was tough work, and I was paid seventeen cents an hour.
      On a beautiful June day, as I was going about my daily grind, the class of 1927 gathered in a huge canvas tent to celebrate commencement.  Inside, I could see hundreds of young men standing around in their white linen suits, laughing and talking.  The were also drinking champagne, which was illegal in 1927 because of Prohibition.
      I remember the scene like it was yesterday, and I can still feel the anger I felt then, almost sixty years ago, as I write these words.  It was the illegal champagne that really annoyed me.  Who the hell do these people think they are, I said to myself, that the law means nothing to them?

-Tip O'Neill, with William Novak,  The Man Of The House:  The Life and Political Memoirs of Speaker Tip O'Neill

No comments:

Post a Comment