Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Robert E. Lee..........................
























A few quotes attributed to a great general and greater American:

I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving.

It is easier to make our wishes conform to our means than to make our means conform to our wishes.

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Duty is the most sublime word in our language.  Do your duty in all things.  You cannot do more.  You should never wish to do less.

So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interests of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this, as regards Virginia especially, that I would cheerfully have lost all I have lost by the war, and have suffered all I have suffered, to have this object attained.

I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.

We must forgive our enemies. I can truly say that not a day has passed since the war began that I have not prayed for them.

I like whiskey. I always did, and that is why I never drink it.

The education of a man is never completed until he dies.

The forbearing use of power does not only form a touchstone, but the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman.

Madam, don't bring up your sons to detest the United States Government. Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans.

Sir, if you ever presume again to speak disrespectfully of General Grant in my presence, either you or I will sever his connection with this university.

No comments:

Post a Comment