Sunday, January 27, 2013

Opening paragraphs...................

My Father had a small Estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the Third of five Sons.  He sent me to Emanuel-College in Cambridge, at Fourteen Years old, where I resided three Year, and applied my self close to my Studies:  But the Charge of maintaining me (although I had a very scanty Allowance) being too great for a narrow Fortune; I was bound Apprentice to Mr. James Bates, and eminent Surgeon in London, with whom I continued four Years; and my Father now and then sending me small Sums of Money, I laid them out in learning Navigation, and other Parts of the Mathematicks, useful to those who intend to travel, as I always believed it would be some time or other my Fortune to do.  When I left Mr. Bates, I went down to my Father; where, by the Assistance of him, and my Uncle John, and some other relations, I got Forty Pounds, and a Promise of Thirty Pounds a Year to maintain me at Leyden:  There I studied Physick two Years and seven Months, knowing it would be useful in long Voyages.
-Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels

Ed. Note:  One has to admire Swift's aggressive use of Capitalization, colons, and semi-colons.  Miss Francis never taught us to write like that back in the Eighth Grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment