Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Temptations.................................

Your faithful blogger has always had a difficult time believing in the "inerrancy" of the Bible.  Spoken in Aramaic, not written down for years, translated a bunch of times.  The opportunities for mischief are endless.  The Lord's Prayer is the perfect example. The text in my version says "Lead us not into temptation."  How are we doing with that?  Don't you think it's possible the hearers misheard.  Wouldn't it be a lot more useful if the prayer said instead, "Leave us not in temptation?"  Just asking.  Here are a few more quotes on the subject of temptation:

“I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.” 
“Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.” 
-Mae West

“I can resist anything except temptation.” 
“The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.” 
-Oscar Wilde


Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
-Ambrose Bierce 


“The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces.” 
-Will Rogers


The biggest human temptation is to settle for too little.
-Thomas Merton 

Did perpetual happiness in the Garden of Eden maybe get so boring that eating the apple was justified?” 
-Chuck Palahniuk


"We gain the strength of the temptation we resist."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
“The problem with temptation is that you may not get another chance.” 
-Laurence J. Peter

“... the devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for ...” 
-Tucker Max


“Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself.” 
-Jane Seabrook


“Saintliness is also a temptation.” 
-Jean Anouilh

1 comment: