Friday, October 5, 2012

Maybe our science would be better................

......if scientists drank less coffee.  Scientists top the list of the fifteen professions that drink the most coffee.  Can that possibly be true?   Full post, plus Top 15 list, is here.  Excerpt is here:

"In no way is all of this to say that other professions do not beget similar (if not identical) negative side effects as science; you'll find workaholics in every field of employment on Earth. Nor is it to say that this list of coffee-dependent professions (the results of a small survey, conducted by Dunkin' Donuts, I remind you) corresponds to America's fifteen most demanding jobs. It is merely to say that the correlation between coffee consumption and scientists' tendency to overwork is striking, if not entirely surprising, and reflects a tendency within the scientific community to work oneself to the caffeine-addled bone"

Put that way, I almost feel sorry for them.  Way back in 1977, when I was first licensed to sell real estate by the State of Ohio, sales training seemed mostly theoretical.  I was assigned a mentor who would "show me the ropes."  His favorite method of prospecting for business was to visit about four different coffee shops/eateries/diners per day.  Invariably, while having a cup, or two, of coffee, he would see someone he knew.  A conversation would ensue that inevitably turned towards real estate.  I think he got most of his sales leads -and he was a pretty successful guy - out of those conversations.  After about four days, I figured out I couldn't drink that much coffee. Set my career way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment