Wednesday, December 19, 2012

C'mon, tell us what you really think.............

Dear Mr. Berko: 
      My new broker, who is a sincere, caring, sweet young man, thinks the market could drop 20 percent to 25 percent. Because I'm in my late 60s he advises, that to preserve my assets, I should sell all my stocks: IMB, Abbot Labs, Southern, 3M, American Electric Power, Clorox, Campbell, McDonalds, General Mills, Duke and Consolidated Edison that I inherited in 1985. This amounts to $228,000, which he wants me to put into a government bond fund for income and principal safety........

"Your charming broker must be tarred, feathered, rendered unable to reproduce, X- branded on both cheeks, banished from the brokerage industry, then forced to enlist in the French Foreign Legion as a fluffer. His recommendations are felonious, reek of self-interest and couldn't pass a smell test in a slaughterhouse sewerage system. Investing $228,000 in government bond fund will be injurious to your health and wealth. Almost three years of record-low rates have increased the potential for an epochal decline in bond prices. Yields are so low today that even a slight increase would devastate your principal value."

Full letter and answer here

No comments:

Post a Comment