Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Fifty years ago.....................

Letters....................
April 16, 1963, Martin Luther King, Jr. pens his classic essay, Letter From Birmingham Jail.  It begins:

My dear Fellow Clergymen,
     While confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I came across your recent statement calling our present activities "unwise and untimely."  Seldom, if ever, do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas.  If I sought to answer all the criticisms that cross my desk, my secretaries would be engaged in little else in the course of the day, and I would have no time for constructive work.  But since I feel that you are men of genuine good will and your criticisms are sincerely set forth, I would like to answer your statement in what I hope will be patient and reasonable terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment