Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Self-help..................................................

Sarah L. Courteau writes an essay for the Wilson Quarterly that seems to want to slap down the "self-help" industry.  I'm probably not her audience.  Last I checked, my book shelves were chock full of works from Wallace Wattles, George Clason, Napoleon Hill, Norman Vincent Peale, Earl Nightingale, Dale Carnegie, Og Mandino, Robert Schuller, Louise Hay, Jim Rohn, Wayne Dyer, Stuart Wilde, Richard Carlson, Brian Tracy, et.al.  There is even a stray Tony Robbins in the mix.  Can't, and won't, say that any of them were life changers.  But, I feel better for reading, and re-reading, them.  In terms of value, I've gotten back way more than I invested.  More than I can say for reading the Wilson Quarterly or putting money in the stock market.

"The ethos of self-help is woven into American culture. It’s the literature of aspiration. The pursuit of happiness is embedded right there in the document that launched the American experiment."

via

No comments:

Post a Comment