Sunday, August 11, 2013

Verse............................

3.  The Master said, 'Clever talk and a pretentious manner' are seldom found in the Good.

4.  Master Tseng said, Every day I examine myself on these three points:  in acting on behalf of others, have I always been loyal to their interests?  In intercourse with my friends, have I always been true to my word?  Have I failed to repeat the precepts that have been handed down to me?

5.  The Master said, A country of a thousand war-chariots cannot be administered unless the ruler attends strictly to business, punctually observes his promises, is economical in expenditures, shows affection toward his subjects in general, and uses the labour of the peasantry only at the proper times of the year.

6.  The Master said, A young man's duty is to behave well to his parents at home and to his elders abroad, to be cautious in giving promises and punctual in keeping them, to have kindly feelings toward everyone, but seeking the intimacy of the Good.  If, when all that is done, he has any energy to spare, then let him study the polite arts.

-Book 1
The Analects of Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment