Saturday, March 8, 2014

Nonsense..........................

From Barking Up the Wrong Tree comes this blog post:
The Music You Love Tells Me Who You Are
Ever been a bit judgy when you hear someone’s taste in music? Of course you have.
And you were right — music tells you a lot about someone’s personality.
Research has learned a great deal about the power of music:
  1. Your musical taste does accurately tell me about you, including your politics.
  2. Your musical taste is influenced by your parents.
  3. You love your favorite song because it’s associated with an intense emotional experience in your life.
  4. The music you enjoyed when you were 20 you will probably love for the rest of your life.
  5. And, yes, rockstars really do live fast and die young.

     Call me Doubting Thomas, but I suspect some faulty research here.  Unless the total absence of rap music from one's collection imparts some deep political meaning, good luck guessing my politics via my music.  You might well guess my age, though.  A quick perusal of the old CD collection reveals that the artists with the most CDs found therein (5 or more) are Bruce Springsteen, Marshall Tucker Band, The Rippingtons, Frank Sinatra, David Sanborn, Robert Cray, Richie Havens, Mark Knopfler, R E M, Carlos Santana, The Beatles, and the Moody Blues.  The five CD's cued up on the CD machine right now are Dave Mason's Alone Together, The Best of Mountain, Jamie O'Neal's Brave, Sir Colin Davis's interpretation of Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition/Night on Bare Mountain, and The Grass Roots' Greatest Hits.  Let me know what it tells you.  
     While I do have some Broadway Show tunes and some George Shearing music from my Dad's old collection, I don't believe he would endorse most of my favorite songs.  For instance, he thought Janis Joplin was a "no-goodnik."  Mom was a sports fan.  Her favorite music was the lyrical voice of Richie Asburn calling the Phillies games. 
     My favorite songs were favorites first, and often later became associated with experiences.  
     Anyone with a passing familiarity with this blog will understand that a love for the 60's music (I was younger than 20) has stayed with me.  
     And finally, if rock stars do really die young, how do explain Keith Richards?

No comments:

Post a Comment