Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Opening paragraphs.......................

I don't remember either of my parents ever reading me a story - perhaps that's why I've made up so many.  They were good parents, but just not story readers.  In 1936, when I was born, the Depression sat heavily on all but the most fortunate, a group that didn't include us.  My McMurtry grandparents were both still alive, and my mother and father and I lived in their house, which made for frequent difficulties.   Sometimes there was a cook and a resident cowboy - where they bunked, I'm not sure.  The fifty yards or so between the house and the barn boiled with poultry.  My first enemies were hens, roosters, peacocks, turkeys.   We ate lots of the hens, but our consumption of turkeys, peacocks, and roosters was, to my young mind, inexcusably slow.
-Larry McMurtry,   Books

No comments:

Post a Comment