Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Jumped..................................

     I was greatly helped in my quest by two turns of mind.  First, I had long looked for insight by inversion in the intense manner counseled by the great algebraist, Jacobi:  "Invert, always invert."   I sought good judgment mostly by collecting instances of bad judgment, then pondering ways to avoid such outcomes.  Second, I became so avid a collector of instances of bad judgment that I paid no attention to boundaries between professional territories.  After all, why should I search for some tiny, unimportant, hard-to-find new stupidity in my own field when some large, important, easy-to-find stupidity was just over the fence in the other fellow's professional territory?  Besides, I could already see that real-world problems didn't neatly lie within territorial boundaries.  They jumped right across.
-Charles T. Munger, as excerpted from The Psychology of Human Misjudgment

No comments:

Post a Comment