Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back in the old days..............................

...............like fifth and sixth grade, we spent months, and months, and months on the multiplication tables.  Drill, drill, and drill some more.   The test was up at the blackboard, with no place to hide - quick, do the 8's, now the 9's, now the 6's.  I hated the eights.  I hated the drills.  But, fifty-two years later, having forgotten vast amounts of what I have been taught, I can still rattle off the multiplication tables.
     Flash forward to about ten years ago, my kids spent two days on the multiplication tables.  What?  I grant you that calculators have changed many things, but being able to do basic numbers in your head is a serious advantage in this world.  No way you can gain mastery, or basic competency, on such a subject in TWO days.  For the only time in their lives, my kids got home schooled.  Dad Xeroxed about 200 copies of blank tables, and every night for a month they filled in three or four tables. Improving speed and accuracy was all I asked.   Haven't checked on them lately, but my guess is that they can tell you right off that 8 x 7 is 56 and 8 x 9 is 72.
     What brought all this to mind is the latest post from our friend Greg at Sippican Cottage.  His kids appear to be living evidence of the goodness that flows from both parental attention and the mantra - Drill, Drill, Drill.  See for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment