Saturday, August 22, 2015

Fanning the spark of madness............


      So I decided to start bowing to everyone who crossed my path.  Just a little teeny bow of my head.  Just enough to remind myself not to be a jerk, since no matter who I'm talking to, whether it's a child, or a principal, or a gas station attendant, or a frenemy, or Craig, it's GOD I'm talking to.
      And as I bow, I say Namaste, God in me recognizes and honors God in you.
      I just think Namaste in my head, like the way Orthodox Jews wear a yarmulke to remind themselves that they are living under the hand of God.  Or how Muslims pray five times a day to remind themselves of whom they serve.  The world and the people in it are so beautiful when you are awake.  And so the bowing and the silent Nameste is just a little practice to remind myself what's real.  What an amazing life I'm leading and what a gift the people I meet are to me.
      I know all of this might sound a little nuts, but I have decided that I am just over worrying about that.  Robin P. Williams said, "You're only given a spark of madness.  You mustn't lose it."  And maybe the world needs some crazy love.  So I am embracing my spark of madness.  Fanning it, even.  And I'm bowing.  And something's happening because of it.  It's working.  I'm starting to see God everywhere.

Glennon Doyle Melton,  Carry On, Warrior:  The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life

No comments:

Post a Comment