Wednesday, February 10, 2016

For better or worse............................


I have to admit that in the past few decades, I don't seem to have much interest in ferreting out my deepest self.  After a while, that pursuit began to feel futile.  There always seemed to be another self hiding beneath the one I had just found - selves all the way down.  Or, as a friend of mine once quipped, "We turned out to be superficial to the core."  I know the Nietzsche would admonish me to deal with it, to keep wrestling with this endless regression of internal contradictions, but these days I would rather spend my time making peace with who, for better or for worse, I have become.

-Daniel Klein, Every Time I Find the Meaning of Life, They Change It:  Wisdom of the Great Philosophers on How to Live

No comments:

Post a Comment