Thursday, January 26, 2017

Unintended consequences................




A seven-stroke lead with nine holes to play disappeared on me almost in a flash.  Bill started playing well at the same time, which contributed further to my anxiety and increasingly poor play.  As for the playoff the next day, I tried as hard as I could, but I just couldn't muster any intensity, and my concentration was lacking, too.
     Did it hurt?  I won't lie; it hurt a lot.  When pressed about it, San Francisco was the toughest, given the lead that I had.  Especially with my mentality about winning, about feeling that I had to win, losing was a bitter pill, and this might have been the most bitter of all.  But as awful as I felt after losing to Billy in that playoff, in many ways my life improved.  In the aftermath of that lose, more of life came calling, and I continued on with a slightly different perspective.  I was better for the experience.
     I was a better person.  I had a better perspective on things.  I would never have felt good if I had not experienced losing, because losing is part of your life.  But there was something else.  For quite a few years I had received my share of fan mail, but after the loss at Olympic, the letters were different.  People wanted to help.  They were comforting and encouraging.  It was just a different sensation entirely, and it meant a great deal to me.  I looked at everything a bit differently because of that.  I had always appreciated folks, my "Army" of fans, but their gestures of support in defeat meant more to me than any adulation I experienced in victory.

-Arnold Palmer,  A Life Well Played:  My Stories

The tourney in question was the 1966 U. S. Open

No comments:

Post a Comment