Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Here is where I confess..................


.................to never having read anything written by David Foster Wallace, until now.  Pointed in his direction by this blog post, I read his July, 1996 Esquire magazine essay, The String Theory.  Faithful readers may remember that my love of reading was kindled by Philadelphia sports writers in the 1960s.   DFW puts those guys to shame.  When one gets a kick out of reading the author's footnotes, one suspects the author is among the best.

"You are invited to try to imagine what it would be like to be among the hundred best in the world at something. At anything. I have tried to imagine; it's hard."

1 comment:

  1. I think you start by imagining that you have no life, no interest in anything (or anyone) other than that one thing you do the best.

    ReplyDelete