Monday, October 30, 2017

Like one of Frost's tramps..............

.............I stopped by this morning to watch my neighbor, Kurt Harden, chop wood.   Faithful readers may remember that Two Tramps in Mudtime is my favorite poem of all time.  Frost concludes:


          But yield who will to their separation,
          My object in living is to unite
          My avocation and my vocation
          As my two eyes make one in sight.
          Only where love and need are one,
          And the work is play for mortal stakes,
          Is the deed ever really done
          For Heaven and the future's sakes.






“Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice”
-Henry Ford

"If I had four hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend the first two hours sharpening the axe."
-one of the many variations of this quote attributed to Abe Lincoln



"Before enlightenment, chop wood.  After enlightenment, chop wood."
-me, paraphrasing a zen saying

1 comment: