Sunday, June 2, 2019

The great undiscovered ocean..................


The passage from Newton's pen that I like best is:  

          I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to
          myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on
          the seashore and diverting myself in now and then
          finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary,
          while the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.

To me, Newton's pebbles and shells are indeed smooth and pretty because they are so simple.  However, they did not seem simple before he recognized their nature.  Mankind shall find more pebbles and more beauty.
     The ocean of truth now offers a vista of a hundred billion suns clustered in the galaxy Galileo glimpsed with his telescope.  The universe contains billions of galaxies which, having started 15 billion years ago in a small space, now are moving apart at tremendous speeds.  Newton pointed out that the laws that apply to galaxies are the same as the laws that apply to atoms.  Regardless of how different galaxies, atoms and the application of laws may superficially appear, their common consistency is now clearly visible.
      But the simplicity in the structure and origin of the universe has not as yet been fully discovered, and therefore all people can repeat with Newton, the great ocean of truth is still undiscovered.

-Edward Teller,  The Pursuit of Simplicity

No comments:

Post a Comment