Sunday, January 26, 2020

Wanting to............................


In America, many men in the groups I have facilitated have told me that they feel like they are sleepwalking through their lives.  Going through the same routines, falling asleep into social media or the news.  They are experiencing a kind of disengagement that makes them feel older than they are.  I suspect that part of being a man is that you will of course fall asleep in your own life.  It will happen.  Knowing this seems important to me.
     The journey out of that will not begin with the call but the desire to hear the call.  The desire itself has an energy.  Part of waking yourself, it seems to me, is made by paying attention.  Most of us are looking but not seeing.  The same men who had told me about falling asleep in their lives reported amazing things when they turned their attention back on and started to tune in and listen for a path back to life.  The ancients call this essential knowledge.
     As trackers our part is to be awake.  Our part is to listen.  We want to hear the call.
     Tracking begins with wanting to track.

-Boyd Varty,  The Lion Tracker's Guide to Life

No comments:

Post a Comment