Monday, October 3, 2022

algorithms......................

 


     My own squalid, but I suspect entirely typical, history as a Twitter junkie might serve as a case in point.  Even at the height of my dependency (I'm now in recovery), I rarely spent more that two hours a day glued to the screen.  Yet Twitter's dominion over my attention extended a great deal further than that.  Long after I'd closed the app, I'd be panting on the treadmill at the gym, or chopping carrots for dinner, only to find myself mentally prosecuting a devastating argument against some idiotic holder of Wrong Opinions I'd had the misfortune to encounter online earlier that day.  (It wasn't misfortune really, of course, the algorithm showed me those posts deliberately, having learned what would wind me up.)

-Oliver Burkeman,  Four Thousand Weeks:  Time Management for Mortals

No comments:

Post a Comment