Friday, October 6, 2023

Life its ownself...................................

      This country has felt more stunned and doomed than at any time since the assassinations of the 1960s and the Vietnam War, and while a sense of foreboding may be appropriate, the hate is not.  At some point, the hate becomes an elective.  I was becoming insane, letting politicians get me whipped up into visions of revenge, perp walks, and jail.  But it didn't work as a drug, neither calming nor animating me.  There is no beauty or safety in hatred.  As a long-term strategy, based on craziness, it's doomed.

     No one can take this hatred off me.  I have to surrender it every time I become aware of it.  This will not go well, I know.  But I don't want my life's ending to be that I was toxic and self-righteous, and I don't know if my last day here will be next Thursday or in twenty years.  Whenever that day comes, I want to be living, insofar as possible, in the Wendell Berry words "Be joyful though you have considered all the facts," . . .

-Anne Lamott, Almost Everything: Notes on Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment